ALL LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE TO LHS SENIORS
Rotary Club of Loyalton 2020 Scholarship Competition. Applications are due Wednesday, February 26th. Interviews will be held on March 4th. Four scholarships between $500 – $1,000, which includes The Emily Wilbanks Scholarship (athletic/ female), the Dick Wiggins Community Service Scholarship, the Leland Cross Art Scholarship, and a Loyalton Rotary Academic scholarship. Please give the complete scholarship packet to Mr. Jones to pass on to the Rotary Scholarship Committee.
1. LHS Common Scholarship Application
2. An official, sealed, current academic transcript from LHS that includes a list of courses in progress for the spring semester.
Note: The Emily Wilbanks Scholarship requires an additional applicant questionnaire AND a recommendation form that needs to be completed by a coach. These go with the Common Application and the LHS transcript. Please see Mrs. Perez for this information.
Local SPTA (Sierra-Plumas Teachers Association) Scholarship. Due March 3. Two at $500 between both LHS and DHS.
1. Loyalton High School or Downieville High School senior with cumulative weighted GPA of 3.0 or higher.
2. LHS or DHS Common Scholarship Application.
3. One letter of recommendation from a current or former SPJUSD teacher.
4. Official Transcript.
5. Activities Resume: demonstration of leadership through school activities, community service and/or participation in athletics.
6. MAIL or hand deliver the entire application packet to Camille Alfred, SPTA President, c/o Loyalton High School, P.O. Box 37, Loyalton, CA 96118.
Veterans of Foreign Wars “Assist a Grad” Scholarship Program
The VFW is dedicated to promoting patriotism and investing in our future generations. If you are a democracy-loving high school student interested in winning a $500 scholarship to assist you in furthering your education post-high school, please apply for our “Assist a Grad” Scholarship. The application deadline is March 13th.
1. LHS Common Application and official transcipt
2. Have a 2.5 GPA or higher
3. Be related to a veteran.
4. Committed to a 4-year or 2-year/tech school for the 2020-2021 academic year.
5. Winners must send in proof of school and course registration in the fall of 2020 to receive the scholarship funds. Please give completed application to Tom Jones at Loyalton High School.
The 7th Annual Mike Corcoran Family Scholarship, 2020. $500. Due April 15th. Please email Mr. Corcoran for details. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- An Activities Resume
- Please submit a one-page typed essay in 5-paragraph format (see Mr. Corcoran for the topic)
Notes: Civic attitude and service will be taken into account. A high GPA is NOT required nor is post-high school university study.
For further information or questions, contact Augustine Corcoran at email@example.com.
The American AGCredit Scholarship is administered through the Plumas-Sierra Cattlemen’s Association. All applications must be postmarked by April 15, 2020 to be considered for this $1,000 scholarship. Applications must be mailed to the Plumas-Sierra Cattlemen’s Association, Attn: Peggy Corbett, P.O. Box 156, Portola, CA 96122. Please contact Mrs. Perez for an application. firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Be a graduate from a Plumas or Sierra County High School, pursuing an agriculture or agri-business career.
2. Students must plan to attend an accredited college or university and major in agriculture, agri-business, business, finance, or another agriculturally related field.
3. Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
4. Recipients will be selected based on leadership skills, a demonstrated commitment to the industry, grades, and financial need.
1. Completed American AgCredit scholarship application form.
2. A summary of all school activities, extracurricular activities, any honors received, and anything else you would like us to know about yourself.
3. An autobiography describing your future career goals, why you chose agriculture as your ambition, and how this scholarship will benefit you.
4. An official transcript from each high school must accompany this application.
5. Three letters of recommendation.
Plumas-Sierra Cattlewomen Scholarship. Due to committee on April 15th. Amounts and number of award-winners are determined after all applications are reviewed. Contact Mrs. Perez for an application packet. email@example.com.
1. Applicant must be from an agricultural family OR must enroll in studies related to agriculture
2. 2.0+ GPA 3. Applicant must enroll as a full-time student at a 2-year, 4-year, or trade school
1. official transcript/ AND a copy of SAT/ ACT scores (if student plans to attend a 4-year) 2. a list of extra-curricular activities 3. application (see Mrs. Perez- this is NOT the LHS Common App) 4. 3 non-family letters of recommendation 4. willingness to appear for an interview
Mail completed application packet to: Claudia Barnes, 132 Clough Road, Quincy, CA 95971. Application MUST be postmarked by April 15th.
Plumas-Sierra County Farm Bureau Scholarship. Due April 15th. Up to $1,000, renewable up to four years. The Scholarship is based on scholastic achievement, career goals, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, written application and interview or conference call. Email Mrs. Perez for the application or email firstname.lastname@example.org (type Scholarship Application Request in the subject line.)
Qualifications: Applicants must meet ONE of the following:
1. Be an immediate family member of a current Plumas-Sierra County Farm Bureau Member
2. Be a graduate of a Plumas or Sierra County High School that will be majoring in agriculture.
1. Submit the completed Farm Bureau application form to Plumas-Sierra County Farm Bureau by the due date.
2. Submit two letters of recommendation written in the past six months, which include information about the applicant’s character, ability, and how they will benefit from this scholarship and a college education.
3. Official high school transcript.
4. Must have an overall cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better
5. Must be willing to appear for a personal interview or have a telephone conference call with Plumas-Sierra County Farm Bureau Scholarship Committee.
MAIL APPLICATION TO: PLUMAS-SIERRA COUNTY FARM BUREAU, PO BOX 35, LOYALTON, CA 96118. Must be postmarked by the due date.
Plumas-Sierra Cattlemen’s Scholarship. Must be postmarked by April 15th. Amounts and award numbers are determined after all applications are reviewed.
Email Mrs. Perez for an application packet at email@example.com.
1. Applicant must be from a farm or ranch family who derives a major portion of their income from this source and can go into any study, OR applicant from a non- agriculture family must enroll in a course of study relating to agriculture.
2. Applicant must be a resident of Plumas or Sierra County for at least one year at the time of application.
3. Applicant must be a graduating senior of a Plumas or Sierra County School. Applications will be accepted during senior year.
4. Applicant must enroll as a full-time student at a 2 or 4 year college or Trade School.
- Submit an Official and Signed Transcript of records with application, which shall include the following
- High school grades
- S.A.T. and A.C.T. test scores (These test scores are not necessary if enrolling in a Community College or Trade School.)
- A list of school extra-curricular and other activities you participate in on another sheet of paper. Please include dates and offices held.
- Submit a completed application form.
- Submit THREE letters of recommendation from persons other than the applicant’s family giving information about the applicant’s character. Letters must be submitted with application form.
- Appear for a Personal Interview with the Plumas-Sierra CattleWomen’s Scholarship Committee which will be during May 2020.
- The money will be available upon proof of registration, after the fall semester begins. It must include name of school and proof of full-time status.
All applications with required records and references are due to the Scholarship Committee by April 15, 2020. No late postmarks will be accepted. They are to be mailed to the address listed below. Applications are to be sent to Co-Chairman: Peggy Corbett, P.O. Box 156, Portola, CA 96122.
The Graeagle Lions Club. Due April 30th with interview date to be determined. $500 scholarship to students planning on attending a junior college or a vocational school and preferably pursuing a career in the trades (although not mandatory).
Requirements (Please mail in completed application to Mr. Jones: PO Box 37; Loyalton, CA 96118)
1. LHS Common Application
2. Official Transcript
3. Interview date to-be-determined.
The John C. Bechen Scholarship. Due April 24th. Scholarships for $3,000 each for all- around students who have superior scholastic records and who are involved in extra-curricular activities. Please mail a complete application packet to Mr. Jones. PO Box 37; Loyalton, CA 96118.
1. LHS Common Scholarship Application
2. Official transcript
The Joan Morgan Memorial Scholarship. Due April 24th. $500 scholarship. Joan Morgan served as the LHS school secretary for over 40 years. This scholarship is her memory. Requirements (Please mail the application to Mr. Jones at: PO Box 37; Loyalton, CA 96118. 1. LHS Common Application
The Kenneth Alexander Memorial Scholarship. Application postmarked by April 24th. Total scholarship amount of $1,000. Ken Alexander was a long-time residents of Sierra County and served for many years as Sierra County’s sheriff. The Alexander family is offering a scholarship in his memory to help a student reach his or her academic and career goals.
1. LHS Common Application
2. Official Transcript
3. Letter of recommendation from one teacher
Please mail all materials to: Chris Alexander, P.O. Box 822, Loyalton, CA 96118.
Sierra Valley Gun Club Scholarship. Postmarked by April 24th, 2019. $500 scholarship. The award will be distributed after one semester or quarter college grades showing a minimum of 3.0 GPA and no less than 12 units taken, are sent to the committee along with proof of enrollment for the next semester/quarter.
Be a member or have an immediate family member in good standing with the Sierra Valley Gun Club AND be a high school senior.
2. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
3. Submit two letters of recommendation, one from a teacher and one from a coach or counselor.
4. Submit official high school transcript in a sealed envelope with the official seal.
5. Applicant must be willing to appear for a personal interview with the scholarship committee.
6. Submit completed application with everything to the Sierra Valley Gun Club Scholarship Committee by no later than April 24th. Mail to: Sierra Valley Gun Club, Attn: Scholarship Committee, PO Box 399, Portola, CA 96122.
Please email Mrs. Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org for the scholarship form.
Plumas-Sierra Rural Electric Cooperative Scholarship. Due April 27th. Two for $1,000. For requirements and essay information, please go to the PSREC website, under the Community tab or see Mrs. Perez.
All interested students are invited and encouraged to apply. To qualify, applicant must be at least a senior in high school with no upper age limit, and their primary residence in Plumas, Lassen, Sierra or Washoe counties must be supplied with either electric power through Plumas-Sierra REC, or telecommunications services through its subsidiary.
Calpine Improvement Association (for Calpine/ Sattley residents only). Due April 30th. For application, please email Mrs. Perez, or Cheri Asher.
Requirements Include: 1. a list of extracurricular activities. 2. a list of awards/ recognition. 3. a list of community groups/ activities in which you have participated 4. high school transcript. 5. brief essay in which you describe yourself and provide an explanation as to why to you would like to receive the Calpine Improvement Association Scholarship. 5. three letters of recommendation from non-family members
Applicant must be willing to appear for an interview
LHS Booster Club Scholarship, due May 1st. Scholarship award numbers and amounts will be determined by the scholarship committee. Please email Mrs. Perez to request a scholarship application at email@example.com. Postmarked by May 10th and sent to: Loyalton Booster Club, P.O. Box 1000, Loyalton, CA 96118.
1. Booster Club Application (NOT the LHS Common App)
2. Letter of recommendation from a coach
3. Write a short 2-3 paragraph essay on the following subject: “Why I deserve the scholarship and how my parents and I helped with the Booster Club.”
3. Minimum GPA of 2.0
4. Official transcript
Liberty Utilities Scholarship. Application due May 1st. $500 Scholarship. Please email the application to Kurt Althof at Kurt.Althof@libertyutilities.com:
1. LHS Common Scholarship Application
2. Live within Liberty Utilities’ service territory.
3. Must have an unweighted GPA of 2.5 or higher.
4. Must be accepted to an accredited 4-year or 2-year university or college, or an accredited vocational school.
5. Must have some community service experience within the community in which you reside.
6. Essay (350 word maximum). Please present your opinion on the relevance or importance of renewable energy, electric applications and transportation, natural resource sustainability, and/or environmental stewardship in your community, country, or the world. You may discuss any aspect(s) of the topics such as environmental impact, economic implications, political influence, social adoption, etc.
Leonard H.A. Franz Scholarship offered by the Plumas Association of REALTORS. Due May 1st. Mail completed application to: Plumas Association of REALTORS, 2056 E. Main Street, Suite #1, Quincy, CA 95971-9586. Please contact Mrs. Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the application.
1. Must have attended LHs for at least four (4) semesters (junior and senior year).
2. Must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
3. Must provide a log of hours and activities (activities resume) to support their community service and work experience (paid or unpaid) activities.
1. Leonard H.A. Franz Scholarship application
2. Activities resume with log of hours and activities to support community service and work experience. 3. Letter of recommendation from an employer or community member (not at school employee) 4. Personal statement, as described in the application.
The Edna Gottardi Memorial Scholarship. $500. Due May 1st.
Scholarship Requirements (please mail to Mr. Jones- PO Box 37, Loyalton, CA 96118) 1. LHS Common Application
2. Short essay on how arts education (Visual and Performing Arts) have benefitted your life during high school.
LMS Sports Club Scholarship, Due May 8th, for students attending a four-year college or a community college or trade school. Email Mrs. Perez at email@example.com for an application. Send in completed application to: Loyalton Sports Club Scholarship Committee Attn: Hayley Evans P.O. Box 340 Loyalton, CA 96118
1. Been a student that played at least one sport each year of Loyalton Middle School.
2. Be a student at LHS.
1. Application postmarked no later than May 8th.
2. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
3. Submit two letters of recommendations, one from a teacher and one from a coach.
4. Submit official HS transcript in sealed envelope with official seal.
Submit sports resume with names of coach(s) and what sport you played at LMS and LHS.
5. Applicants must be willing to appear for a personal interview with the Loyalton Sports Club Scholarship Committee.
Sierra Valley Roping Club Scholarship. Due May 15th. Scholarship is up to $2,500 at the discretion of the scholarship committee.
1. Must be a resident of Sierra or Plumas County
2. Be majoring in an agricultural field or be a Roping Club member.
Email Mrs. Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org for application form and information.
Joe Runge Athletic Scholarship. Due May 15th. Scholarship amounts are at the discretion of the scholarship committee. Please mail the application to Mr. Jones; PO Box 37, Loyalton, CA 96118. Requirements: 1. LHS Common Application
The Sierra County Employee Association 2020 Scholarship for the amount of $500. Due May 15th.
1. LHS Graduate NOT required to be attending college or post-secondary school in the fall.
1. Submit a 250-500 word essay. Be sure to include your name at the top of your essay. Essays must be typed with question included. TOPIC: “Please write 250- 500 words about something that you love.” Email the essay with your name and address to the following address no later than May 15th: email@example.com
E. Clampus Vitus 1849 Scholarship.. Due May 31st. Scholarship in the amount of $1,849. The organization wants to focus on a senior who is interested in entering a trade. Requirements: LHS common application, emailed to Mr. Richard Stark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(THIS SCHOLARSHIP WEBSITE IS IN THE UPDATE PROCESS AND WILL BE COMPLETED VERY SOON- PLEASE CHECK BACK- THE ONES ABOVE THIS MESSAGE ARE CORRECT, WITH THE INFORMATION THAT IS KNOWN TO LHS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.)
The Sierra Valley Grange Scholarship. (may not be offered this year…waiting to hear)
1. Completed School Standard Application
2. One page cover letter describing their involvement in 4H, FFA and Grange, and a brief description of your College or Tech School plans and goals.
The William Rouse Memorial Scholarship (may not be offered this year…waiting to hear) The William Rouse Memorial Scholarship is TWO $1,000 grants, one to a student going to a 2-year or tech school and one to a student attending a 4-year school and gifted to Loyalton High School graduates who embodies the character and core values that Bill Rouse possessed: a deep love of education, the belief that every student can succeed given the right tools; a commitment to hard work and a resiliency to continue forward in pursuit of a goal in the face of struggle.
1) Must be a senior at Loyalton High School
2) Must be accepted to an accredited 4-year, 2-year college program, or an accredited vocational school
3) Must have some community service experience within the community they reside.
1) Submit the Loyalton High School Common Application.
2) Copy of your official transcripts.
3) Copy of your activities resume.