ALL LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE TO LHS SENIORS
Note: Scholarship due dates are updated as best as we know at LHS. The last update was made on March 24th. If a due date is blank, it is because we have not yet heard from that organization about this year’s scholarship.
- Rotary Club of Loyalton 2023 Scholarship Competition. Applications for academic, community service, Emily Wilbanks (female athletic scholarship), Dick Wiggin Community Service and Edward Hood trade/ag (new!) scholarships are due Tuesday, Mar 21st. Interviews will be held March 28th. Five scholarships between $500 – $1,000 each.
- Please give 3 completed scholarship packets to Ms. Meschery to pass on to the Rotary Scholarship Committee members.
1. LHS Common Scholarship Application
2. An official, sealed, current academic transcript from LHS that includes a list of courses in progress for the spring semester. Note: The Emily Wilbanks Scholarship requires an additional applicant questionnaire AND a recommendation form that needs to be completed by a coach. These go with the Common Application and the LHS transcript. Please see Mrs. Perez for this information.
- Plumas-Sierra Cattlewomen Scholarship. Must be postmarked by April 8th. Amounts and number of award-winners are determined after all applications are reviewed. Applications are posted at plumassierracattlewomen.org; call Karen Rickman if you have questions: (530) 400-7737.
1. Applicant must be from an agricultural family OR must enroll in studies related to agriculture
2. 2.0+ GPA 3. Applicant must enroll as a full-time student at a 2-year, 4-year, or trade school
1. official transcript/ AND a copy of SAT/ ACT scores (if student plans to attend a 4-year) 2. a list of extra-curricular activities 3. application (see the website link above) 4. 3 non-family letters of recommendation 4. willingness to appear for an interview. Mail completed application packet to: Kathleen Goicoechea, PO Box 883, Loyalton, CA 96118. Application MUST be postmarked by April 8th.
- Plumas-Sierra County Farm Bureau. Postmarked by April 15th. Email email@example.com for the application, if needed, or if you have questions. Qualifications: 1. Completed application form 2. Two letters of recommendation, each written within the past 3 months. Letters must be submitted WITH the application! (ie.character, ability, how they will benefit from the scholarship). 3. Official sealed transcript 4. 2.5 GPA minimum 5. Enroll as a full-time student (12 or more units) at a junior college, trade school, or university/ college 6. Be willing to appear for an interview either in person or by telephone Mail completed application to: Plumas-Sierra County Farm Bureau; PO Box 35, Loyalton, CA 96118. Applications postmarked after April 15th will not be considered.
- Local SPTA (Sierra-Plumas Teachers Association) Scholarship. Due April 17th. Two at $500, one for LHS and one for DHS.
1. LHS or DHS Common Scholarship Application.
2. Two letters of recommendation. 3. Official Transcript.
4. Activities Resume: demonstration of leadership through school activities, community service and/or participation in athletics.
5. MAIL or hand deliver the entire application packet to Laurie Petterson, SPTA President, c/o Loyalton Elementary School, P.O. Box 127, Loyalton, CA 96118.
- Kenneth Alexander Memorial Scholarship. Due April 17th. One scholarship for $1000. 1. One requirement only: write an essay explaining why you feel you deserve this scholarship. Please MAIL the application to: PO Box 822, Loyalton, CA 96118. It MUST be postmarked by Monday, April 17th.
- John C. Bechen Memorial Scholarship. Due April 28th. Scholarships for $2,000- $5,000 each for all- around students headed to 4-year college/ university, who have superior scholastic records and who are involved in extra-curricular activities. Please give a complete application packet to Ms. Meschery: PO Box 37; Loyalton, CA 96118.
1. LHS Common Scholarship Application
2. Official transcript
- Plumas-Sierra Rural Electric Cooperative Scholarship. Due April 28th. Two for $1,000. For requirements and essay information, please go to the PSREC website, under the Community tab, Scholarships. All interested students are invited and encouraged to apply. To qualify, applicant must be at least a senior in high school with no upper age limit, and their primary residence in Plumas, Lassen, Sierra or Washoe counties must be supplied with either electric power through Plumas-Sierra REC, or telecommunications services through its subsidiary.
- Leonard H.A. Franz Scholarship offered by the Plumas Association of REALTORS. Due May 1st. Mail completed application to: Plumas Association of REALTORS, 2056 E. Main Street, Suite #1, Quincy, CA 95971-9586. Please contact Mrs. Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the application or check the psrec website.
1. Must have attended LHs for at least four (4) semesters (junior and senior year).
2. Must have a GPA of 3.0 or above. Requirements:
1. Leonard H.A. Franz Scholarship application
2. Activities resume with log of hours and activities to support community service and work experience. 3. Letter of recommendation from an employer or community member (not a school employee). 4. Personal statement, as described in the application.
- Sierra Valley Gun Club Scholarship. Postmarked by May 1st. $500 scholarship. The award will be distributed after one semester or quarter college grades showing a minimum of 3.0 GPA and no less than 12 units taken, are sent to the committee along with proof of enrollment for the next semester/quarter.
Be a member or have an immediate family member in good standing with the Sierra Valley Gun Club AND be a high school senior. Requirements: 1. Gun Club Application (see Mrs. Perez) 2. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
3. Submit two letters of recommendation, one from a teacher and one from a coach or counselor.
4. Submit official high school transcript in a sealed envelope with the official seal.
5. Applicant must be willing to appear for a personal interview with the scholarship committee.
6. Submit completed application with everything to the Sierra Valley Gun Club Scholarship Committee by no later than May 9th. Mail to: Sierra Valley Gun Club, Attn: Scholarship Committee, PO Box 399, Portola, CA 96122.
- LHS Booster Club Scholarship, due May 5th. Scholarship award numbers and amounts will be determined by the scholarship committee. Please see Mrs. Perez to request a scholarship application at email@example.com. Postmarked by May 5th and send to: Loyalton Booster Club, P.O. Box 1000, Loyalton, CA 96118.
1. Booster Club Application (NOT the LHS Common App)
2. Letter of recommendation from a coach
3. Write a short 2-3 paragraph essay on the following subject: “Why I deserve the scholarship and how my parents and I helped with the Booster Club.”
3. Minimum GPA of 2.0
4. Official transcript
- Veterans of Foreign Wars “Assist a Grad” Scholarship Program. Due May 5th.
The VFW is dedicated to promoting patriotism and investing in our future generations. If you are a democracy-loving high school student interested in winning a $500 scholarship to assist you in furthering your education post-high school, please apply for our “Assist a Grad” Scholarship. The application deadline is May 5th.
1. LHS Common Application and official transcript
2. Have a 2.5 GPA or higher
3. Include a paragraph that explains how you are related to a veteran.
4. Committed to a 4-year or 2-year/tech school for the 2023- 2024 academic year.
5. Winners must send in proof of school and course registration in the fall of 2023 to receive the scholarship funds. Please give completed application to Ms. Meschery at Loyalton High School.
- Liberty Utilities Scholarship. Application due May 12th. $1000 Scholarship. Please turn in to Ms. Meschery or Mrs. Perez.
1. LHS Common Scholarship Application
2. Must have an unweighted GPA of 2.5 or higher.
3. Must be accepted to an accredited 4-year or 2-year university or college, or an accredited vocational school.
4. Must have some community service experience within the community in which you reside.
5. Essay (350 word maximum). Please present your opinion on the relevance or importance of renewable energy, electric applications and transportation, natural resource sustainability, and/or environmental stewardship in your community, country, or the world. You may discuss any aspect(s) of the topics such as environmental impact, economic implications, political influence, social adoption, etc.
- Joan Morgan Memorial Scholarship. Due May 12th. $500 scholarship. Joan Morgan served as the LHS school secretary for over 40 years. This scholarship is her memory. Requirements (Please give the application to Ms. Meschery at: PO Box 37; Loyalton, CA 96118.) 1. LHS Common Application
- Edna Gottardi Memorial Scholarship. $500. Due May 12th.
Scholarship Requirements 1. LHS Common Application
2. Short essay on how arts education (Visual and Performing Arts) have benefitted your life during high school. Due to Ms. Meschery by May 12th.
- Plumas-Sierra Cattlemen’s Scholarship. All applications must be postmarked by _______ to be considered. Qualifications: come from a farm or ranch family OR enroll in a course of study relating to agriculture Requirements: transcript, SAT or ACT test scores (not necessary if enrolling in community college or trade school), scholarship application, activities resume, autobiography describing future career goals, 3 letters of recommendation, personal interview may be required. MAIL application to: Peggy Corbett, PO Box 156, Portola CA 96122
- Sierra Valley Roping Club Scholarship. Due _______. Scholarship is up to $2,500 at the discretion of the scholarship committee.
1. Must be a resident of Sierra or Plumas County
2. Be majoring in an agricultural field or be a Roping Club member.
The application is available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or see Mrs. Perez.
- The Sierra County Employee Association 2020 Scholarship for the amount of $500. Due _________.
1. LHS Graduate NOT required to be attending college or post-secondary school in the fall. Any senior may apply! The award is based on the merit of the essay question only.
1. Submit a 250-500 word essay. Be sure to include your name at the top of your essay. Essays must be typed with question included. TOPIC: “Please write 250- 500 words describing how you picture life in the real world.” Email the essay with your name and address to the following address no later than May 13th: email@example.com
- E. Clampus Vitus 1849 Scholarship.. Due _____. Scholarship in the amount of $1,849. Requirements: James J. Sinnott/ Norm Nielsen Scholarship application (see Mrs. Perez), emailed to Mr. Richard Stark at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Scholarship Application” in the subject line. Email must be received by _____ by 11:59 pm.
LMS Sports Club Scholarship, Due ______, for students attending a four-year college or a community college or trade school. Email Mrs. Perez at email@example.com for an application. Send in completed application to: Loyalton Sports Club Scholarship Committee Attn: Hayley Cayuga, P.O. Box 940, Loyalton, CA 96118
1. Been a student that played at least one sport each year of Loyalton Middle School.
2. Be a student at LHS.
1. Application postmarked no later than May 8th.
2. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
3. Submit two letters of recommendations, one from a teacher and one from a coach.
4. Submit official HS transcript in sealed envelope with official seal.
5. Submit sports resume with names of coach(s) and what sport you played at LMS and LHS.
6. Applicants must be willing to appear for a personal interview with the Loyalton Sports Club Scholarship Committee.
Boyd and Phyllis Waterman Memorial Scholarship, Due _____. $500.
Requirements: 2.0 GPA, attending a trade school or 2-year college. Trades focused, for students looking to get a job after 2 years.
Little League Scholarship, Due ______.
Requirements: LHS Common App plus a short essay describing a positive experience from Little League.
Musica Sierra Scholarships, Due ________. 2 scholarships: one art-focused, the other music-focused. $350 each.
Please see musicasierra.org and fill out the Google Form or see Lindsay McIntosh for details!